A Group is a logical classification of managed devices. It provides a method of organising the devices and streamlines the process of associating policies, pushing applications and executing remote actions or applying other configurations from the portal.
You can create custom groups to classify the device by Department, Branch, Type of use, Hardware Characteristics of a device, and any other logical means that can help in managing devices easier. These static groups enable you to control the devices based on your business requirements.
Organising devices into groups enables IT administrators to efficiently manage the tasks at scale. For example, to deploy certain apps or policies to devices owned by users of a specific department. Device Management becomes easier when they are grouped.
Groups are used to
- Push Applications to a group of devices
- Push restrictions to a group of devices
- Push firmware to a group of devices
Grouping devices ensures not all devices are affected in case any changes are pushed through FieldX Portal
Groups are an integral tool in managing endpoints in an organization. To create a new group,
- Navigate to the Groups > Click “New” Button > Add Group
- Add the Group Name on your requirement and click OK
Adding devices into a Group
To assign a device into a Group
- You can assign devices to a group either from “My Devices” or “Search” or “New Devices” page
- Click the device which you want to assign and click on the “Assign Group” button
- Select the Group name from the dropdown and click on Add to Group
- On click of “Assign Group”, if the required group is not found in the list you can create new group from the same dialog
Bulk add devices in a Group
Multiple devices can be assigned into the different groups in one go through “Bulk Register Devices”. This allows you to add a vast number of devices to a group without any hassle of manually adding individual devices.
- Create a Group to which you would like to add large set of devices
- Collect the Unique ID (IMEI or Serial) of your devices in an Excel or CSV format.
- Click on “Bulk Register Devices” on the side-menu
- The bulk register devices feature can not only help in bulk registering new devices, but also help in bulk editing devices.
- Copy paste the CSV in the following format: “<Serial/IMEI>,<Tag>,<Group>” (leave “tag” empty if there’s none)
- Click on “Validate” button to ensure the entered details are valid. Any incorrect entries will be ignored.
- After validation, click on “Bulk Register” button to register/edit the devices.
Removing devices from Group
Devices can be removed from group by
- Go to Groups page, select the group, search for the device from the table of devices shown on right side, click on “Delete” icon to remove the device from that group
- Search for the device from “My Devices” or “Search” or “New Devices” page. Click on the device that you want to remove from the group. Scroll all the way down the page to find “Groups” section for the device. Click on “Delete” icon to delete the device from that group.
Point to Remember
- One device can be part of multiple groups
- Currently, there’s no bulk removal of devices from FieldX